Remote and in-person attendee experience

• 4 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello everyone.

In December I was testing a way to try and integrate in-person audiences with remote audiences via a Hopin test event. Slido had added a new chat feature to their platform and this was working perfectly.

Using the Slido chat instead of the Hopin chat we were able to allow in-person attendees to have Slido open on their mobile phones so they could engage with the remote audience but didn’t have to have the live stream playing back on their device which would be very distracting in a conference room. This also meant the in-person attendees didn’t have to sign up on Hopin to be involved in the chat.

Remote attendees could attend the event on Hopin and chat amongst themselves and the in-person audience as we disabled the Hopin chat and they had to use the Slido chat in the sidebar.

This worked perfectly until Slido decided to remove the new chat feature on the 31st of December.

Now I’m back at square one trying to find a way to integrate these 2 audiences as hybrid events will be the way I produce most events for my clients going forward.

Maybe an opportunity for a Hopin in-person attendee mobile experience where they can be involved in just the chat?

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Michael Vermaak. This is really good feedback. You can also add your idea to the Ideas page here

I’m curious though, if you use the Twitter integration? This allows you to display a Twitter feed in any side panel (event, stage, session, expo booth). We use this at our conferences to engage audiences both in and outside of the event. 

Badge

Hi Jenn. 

The Twitter integration is great and we do use it but the reason Slido worked so well is that there is no login process for any attendee (just the event code on Slido for those not on Hopin) and it works completely in-browser. This maximises use and engagement as it allows everyone to participate. 

And that is the really important part of how this should work. It needs to be simple for attendees to use otherwise engagement will suffer. 

With hybrid events becoming our future we need to allow the 2 audiences to interact.